Pulp & Paper Industry
The pulp and paper industry is one of the largest industries globally. The estimated global production volume of paper and paperboard was approximately 401 million metric tons in 2020. This was a decrease of nearly one percent compared with the previous year. Since 2010, global production of paper and paperboard has remained relatively stable, averaging roughly 400 million metric tons per year.
The two largest paper-producing countries in the world are China and the United States. In addition, the Middle East and North Africa region (MENA) has growing production of pulp and paper for different applications. With some 422 million metric tons of paper consumed globally in 2018, the world’s paper consumption is roughly equal to the amount of paper produced annually. The largest paper-consuming country worldwide is China, which consumed on 2018 more than 100 million metric tons of paper and paperboard. This was followed by the United States and Japan, which in the same year consumed 70.6 million metric tons and 25.5 million metric tons, respectively.
In 2019, the global paper and pulp market size was valued at 348.43 $ billion. It is expected to grow at a CAGR of 0.8 to reach the value of almost 370 $ billion by 2027.
The pulp and paper industry is one of the largest users of water where it is estimated to use 40-60 cubic meters of water per metric ton of finished product. Water is used in almost all steps of the manufacturing processes of pulp and paper where paper mills produce large volumes of wastewater and residual sludge waste daily, presenting a number of challenges related to wastewater treatment, discharge, sludge disposal, and overall water management.
Therefore, water in pulp & paper mills is a core material in the manufacturing process for washing, cooling, cleaning, or generating steam in boilers for turbines process utilities. Multiple water facilities and technologies are also involved in paper mills such as:
- Desalination Plants
- Demineralization Units
- Filtration Systems
- Wastewater Treatment Plants (WWTP)
- Steam Generation Systems (Boilers)
- Cooling Systems (Closed Cooling – Open Cooling – Once-through)
REDA Water offers diversified water treatment solutions for the above systems which have benefits that can be reflected on the plant’s operation on:
- Smooth & Enhanced Productivity
- Longer operational life of facilities
- Eliminate Production Stoppages
- Minimizing water operational costs
- Minimize Maintenance costs
- Optimizing System’s Performance KPIs
- Improve Chemical Safety Practices
- Technical Training about Water Facilities
In addition to the above, REDA Water team can service power plants in daily operational activities of paper mills . Through a complete portfolio of specialty chemical ZenTreat® and equipment solutions, REDA can provide chemical solutions for the systems:
- Chemicals for Open and Closed Cooling Systems
- Specialty Chemical for Boilers (Lp – MP – HP)
- Chemicals for Demineralization and Desalination Plants
- Chemicals for Industrial Cleaning Applications
- Process Chemicals for paper mills
- Chemicals for Industrial WWTP
- Automatic Dosing Systems for Chemicals Injection
- Filtration Units
These solutions are associated with on-site services, water analysis, dosing units, and field chemical optimization to ensure minimal amounts of chemicals are injected with the best results.
Finally, don’t hesitate to Contact Us for any inquiry related to water treatments of pulp & paper mills, or if you are interested to build a partnership with REDA Water team to improve the overall water management in your plant.
- ZenTreat Chemical Solutions for Swimming Pools
- REDA Launches ZenTreat W Group of Chemicals
- REDA Launches ZenTreat S Group of Chemicals
- REDA Launches ZenTreat D Group of Chemicals
- REDA Launches ZenTreat C Group of Chemicals
- REDA Launches ZenTreat B Group of Chemicals
- REDA Launches ZenTreat A Group of Chemicals